In 1683, Islip founder William Nicoll purchased 51,000 acres of land from the Secatogue Indians. The land was situated to the east of Islip Town, and was referred to as “east of Islip”. On January 16th 1890, the area was officially named East Islip. The community extended east to Bayport, and north to Lake Ronkonkoma. East Islip is the home of Heckscher State Park, Bayard Cutting Arboretum, and the one room Hewlett School for Privileged Young Women. The Hewlett School for Privileged Young Women was built in 1915, and was moved to Suffolk Lane in 1941. Visit www.lihistory.com for more on the history of East Islip and Long Island. “East of Islip” is another interesting short history written in 1959, by the Friends of the East Islip Library.
Welcome to our new blog. Let’s use it to discuss all things East Islip!